Sarma - Key Ingredients
Stuffed cabbage (sarma) isn’t called the queen of winter for nothing. Tender and smoked meats mixed with delicate rice, enriched with few simple seasonings, then lovingly wrapped in fermented cabbage leaves. Cooked on low heat for a few hours until aromas and flavors embrace for an outcome nothing short of sensational.
INGREDIENTS (Key ingredients are listed below and available to order)
- 16 ounces ground beef (or veal)
- 3–4 ounces bacon or smoked beef (air-dried beef, diced small) MezeHub recommendation - Brother & Sister Smoked Beef
- 7 ounces rice (round grain) MezeHub recommendation - Premium Kochani Rice
- (Optional) 2 ounces milk
- 2 onions (smaller, peeled, minced)
- 3 garlic clove (peeled, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- (Optional) 1/2 tablespoon Vegeta (or seasoned salt)
- 1 larger or 2 smaller sour cabbage heads (about 24 ounces)
- 3.5 ounces oil
- 5.5 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Remaining cabbage
- 3–4 ounces bacon or smoked beef (diced)
- (Optional) Sour cream
- In a larger bowl, combine all filling ingredients and mix with your hands until integrated. Set aside.
- Separate cabbage leaves from the cabbage head one by one, and wash each in lukewarm water. (After the wash taste to see if they are too salty. If yes, wash again.)
- Place cabbage leaves on a cutting board (one by one), and cut out the thick middle vein from each leaf. (Keep veins for later.) Proceed to cut each leaf in half. (If leaves are large, you may have to cut them in quarters.)
- Place one cut leaf in your hand and put one tablespoon of the filling on in the middle of the upper end. Fold the longer end on left side of the filling toward the filling, and roll everything away from you, squeezing lightly as you roll. Once rolled, tuck the right side of the leaf in with your finger. (You’ll essentially end up with a tiny burrito-like roll.) Set aside.
- Repeat until you run out of ingredients. (You should have about 25-35 with this amount of ingredients, depending how large you make your rolls. Best are about 1.5×2.5 inches.) Take the veins, and any remaining cabbage, and cut into larger chunks.
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium. When hot stir in tomato paste. Follow up with flour. At the end, add one cup of hot water.
- Place first layer of rolls on the bottom. Follow up with handfuls of meat and remaining cabbage. Continue layering until you run out of ingredients. Cover with hot water to come above the top layer (about the thickness of a finger or so).
- Cook on low for 3 hours. Do not stir. Add a bit of water at a time to keep the water level even.
- (In all you’ll add about 5 cups total for the stew, but it may vary.)
- Serve hot by itself or with mashed potatoes. Optionally add sour cream.
Recipe curtesy of: BALKANLUNCHBOX
Original price $6.45 - Original price $6.45Original price$6.45$6.45 - $6.45Current price $6.45
Marco Polo futog whole cabbage heads brined in vinegar, water, salt, and preservative potassium sorbate (kiseli kupus). Each cabbage head is approx...View full details
Original price $6.99 - Original price $6.99Original price$6.99$6.99 - $6.99Current price $6.99
According to a national legend, over five centuries ago, a wealthy trader by the name of Kocho traveled to China and came back carrying rice. Kocho...View full details
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$14.04 - $40.63$14.04 - $40.63Current price $14.04
Smoked beef (suho meso) from Brother and Sister. Price per piece, we round down to the nearest ounce. Keep refrigerated.
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$3.25$3.25 - $3.25Current price $3.25
Vegeta's all-purpose seasoning in a small bag. This famous European seasoning has conquered the world of modern cooking. Featuring a finely-balance...View full details
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$5.99$5.99 - $5.99Current price $5.99
Vegeta's Natur mix is an all-natural, organic, all-purpose seasoning version of Vegeta's famous European seasoning. It features a finely-balanced ...View full details
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$1.99$1.99 - $1.99Current price $1.99
This seasoning mix contains the perfect spices and flavors for the combination of peppers and cabbage. The careful addition of individual spices gi...View full details
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$7.99$7.99 - $7.99Current price $7.99
Marco Polo cabbage leaves (kiseli kupus listovi)
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$2.99$2.99 - $2.99Current price $2.99
Paolo's Tomato Sauce Passata di Pomodoro Rustica
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$9.69 - $41.80$9.69 - $41.80Current price $9.69
Pork bacon (svinjska slanina) from Brother and Sister, one of the finest meat producers in the country with outstanding quality control and authent...View full details
Original price $5.89 - Original price $5.89Original price$5.89$5.89 - $5.89Current price $5.89
Whole cabbage head brined in vinegar, water, salt, and preservative potassium sorbate. Keep refrigerated.
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$3.78$3.78 - $3.78Current price $3.78
Passata tomato sauce from Podravka
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$3.99$3.99 - $3.99Current price $3.99
Passata tomato sauce w. garlic from Podravka
Out Of Stock!
We will notify you when this product becomes available.